On 4/23/2012 2:09 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
On Apr 23, 2012, at 12:06 PM, Walt Gilbert wrote:

Strange. I've dropped K-x once and completely destroyed my beloved A50/1.7
lens, and my cat has knocked it off the top of a dresser about 4 feet high
once, directly onto the mounted M 50/2 and the camera has come out better than
the lenses both times.
I suspect that it isn't gross abuse that is doing the cameras in, but rather
that they get a lot of fairly rough use.  A lot of small bumps and taps rather
than a few big ones like being dropped.

Having dropped my K20 a couple of times, I can vouch that it is by no means
impervious to asphalt.

I suspect that what he really needs are the sturdier prosumer (K-5) cameras,
unfortunately, the school has an entry level (K-x) budget.
In hindsight, there's no way in hell I'd have trusted my K-x to myself at that age -- or any other camera I've ever owned, come to think of it. Or a bag of marbles for that matter.

-- Walt

I guess I can feel a little lucky now that I have another A50/1.7 on the way.

-- Walt