From: Christine Aguila <christ...@caguila.com>
To: PDML List <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2012 2:53 AM
Subject: NATO Nurses Rally at Daley Plaza Today

Hi Everyone:

I flirted with the idea of starting a little memoir blog, if you will, on our
NATO weekend here in Chicago, but then chucked the idea--for the time being at
least.  I haven't had a full day of photography like today for probably 3
months at least, so it was a fun day.

The nurses union had applied for a permit but had a set-to with the mayor, but
then he relented, so the rally went ahead.  John Nichols, the Washington D.C.
correspondent for the magazine The Nation spoke, as did, Andy Thayer, and Tom
Hayden, that is, *the* Tom Hayden.   Tom Morello sang--he was great!  Lots of
other speakers from various progressive organizations and unions spoke as well.

The rally was orderly--quite tame actually--cheerful with lots of shouting and
singing.  Morello sang This Land is Your Land, which was a moving moment and
will resonate long in my memory. But then it was over, and most folks went
along their merry way.  The media reported some smaller "splinter groups"
headed into the loop, but it never amounted to much.

The big day is Sunday, and I'm set to head down to the Petrillo Bandshell and
do the march to McCormick Place. If I get tired, I'll head home.  Darrel will
be home on call if I need to be rescued.  I've sought advice from our Cotty, so
I'll march with greater confidence WRT safety and photographic strategy.

There's nothing fancy or greatly artful about the gallery below, but you will
get a small sense of what the rally was like.  The truth is when I get to
events like this I start shouting and singing with everyone else and forget to
take pictures.  I did take a little video of the speakers and performers, but I
had the DA* 50-135 on the K-5, and holding that kit up high in the Hail Mary
position for long periods is not fun.  It's a bummer being short.

There are captions below the photos.

http://www.caguila.com/natonurses

Cheers, Christine/Chicago