P. J. Alling wrote on Wed, 23 May 2012 09:20:38 -0700

> Lenses are a long term investment, at least they used to be, plastic on a
> bearing surface implies the opposite. No matter what plasticizers are lost
> over time and the material becomes brittle and subject to cracking.
> Eventually something important will break. Heat will exacerbate this process.
> If the lens was cheap enough to be disposablethat would be fine but it's not
> really.

It ain't neccesarily so!  I'm confident that the Pentax plastic lens mount is
made of a modern engineering plastic; these are heat-resistant, often
self-lubricating, and do not contain volatile/migratory plasticizers.  Unless
subjected to severe mechanical stress it's likely that they will outlive the
user…

Regards, Jim