We have been to Italy four times, for a week each.  Don't try to hit
too many cities;  the joy of Italy is relaxing in a piazza sipping
espresso or limoncello and just enjoying life.

Rome is by far the most interesting, with many great museums, the
Colosseum and the Forum, the street life and the Sistine Chapel.
Venice is a crowded tourist disaster in the daytime, but in the
evening, after the large groups leave, St Marks square is truly
magical.  Florence has great food, David, the Ufizzi and the marvelous
view from across the river, best seen from the Piazzella Michelangelo.

The most enjoyable part of Italy, however, is the Naples area, which
has the kind of Italian food that most of us love, great scenery, and
the most Italian lifestyle.  Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano, Ravello.
Capri all are great places to just enjoy the food, the wine (or
Limoncello), the views and the people.

I have never been bored in Italiy, not for a moment, not even in Milano.

Dan Matyola