Bummer, dude.

When it comes to developing traditional B&W - the beauty of it is that there is no right or wrong way to do it. It is not an exercise in conforming to a rule or a process, it is an exercise in understanding how the film and developer interact and how your workflow (both in-camera and in-the-lab) affects that. That's why the tech sheets all talk about the recommended development times being the starting point for determining your own process. My expericne with commercial labs is that they just develop to standard times and leave it at that. Worst case - they combine multiple rolls and average times. So we stick films x y and z in the tank and their recommended development times in D76 1:1 are 10, 12, and 14 minutes. We'll do the whole lot at 12 minutes and call it a day.

If you can't scan your own film I'd suggest using a chromogenic B&W - basically C41 film. Let the lab develop it and scan it. There the development process *is* an exercise in conforming to a rule, so you should get consistent results. If your images are too faint or too dense, you can attribute it to your exposure and not the processing. Kodak 400CN or Ilford XP2 come to mind. You might want to confirm with your lab that they can scan the Ilford without a color cast.

- MCC