On 31/05/2012 08:52, William Robb wrote:
A good friend passed away recently, and we don't know what this is for
sure.
I think it's a lamp of some sort.
Anyone know what it is, really?
http://users.accesscomm.ca/wrphoto/pictures/WRK59183.jpg
http://users.accesscomm.ca/wrphoto/pictures/WRK59185.jpg

I would guess that there should be a spring in the long tube, to hold the candle up. It's for using when you need the light to stay still and not move, as it would as the candle burned down. Similar constructions were used when candles were the source of light in the (very, very) early days of motoring, to ensure the flame stayed in the right place to allow a mirror to throw as much light down the road as possible.

I'm not sure, after all that, why it would be constructed to separate.
--
No fixed Adobe