Hi,

thanks for that link. It's an interesting set of photos, although her
writing is rather clunky. It seems that she arrived there a matter of
a few days after I left, so I can vouch for the accuracy of her
photos. In fact, since arriving back from that area in 1999 I've been
telling people what a fascinating project was to be had by spending a
year in a village there, and somebody was actually doing it! Just goes
to show that photojournalism is about doing it rather than talking
about it... I hope she got her MA.

There's a very fine set of photos from Maramures by David Turnley here:
http://www.freep.com/photos/romania/index.htm. The title of the essay
is "Where time stood still". When Valentin was driving me around
Bucovina, just east of Maramures, he showed me a few of what he called
'villages that time forgot'. It was in one of these that he took his
celebrated photo of my arse: http://www.web-options.com/valentin/wbw6[1].jpg.

One of the things I strongly approve of in the essay by Turnley is
that he gives us the people's names. This is forgotten too often in a
lot of photojournalism (I think Salgado is particularly guilty of
this), and it makes the people ciphers only, or symbols, rather than
people with whose individual experience we can empathise and thereby
learn something about the human condition. Better stop before I get
too pretentious.

It's a fascinating part of the world.

---

 Bob