Hi Dan!

It's a Lychnis coronaria, aka Rose campion. It's a highly desirable
ornamental garden plant for hot dry areas. It's very drought resistant
because of its reflective colour and fine hairs that cover it. It's
quite expensive to buy.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=3417

It's a biennial, but reseeds like crazy so that's why you keep getting
it in large quantities.

Cheers!

--
-bmw