I believe that Canon removed the aperture ring from their lenses as a cost savings and have managed to convince photographers that this is more modern and that the lack of this feature is in fact a feature. While having manual control of the aperture on a very long lens on the body of the camera may be desirable, as the aperture ring could be of necessity in an awkward place, it only makes sense to put aperture control on a shortish lens and divide up the shooting controls a bit more equally between both hands. At least Pentax and Nikon used to give you the choice of how you wanted to work. Now it's left to Panasonic and Samsung to allow that.

On 6/4/2012 7:28 AM, Dario Bonazza wrote:
Touchè.

Well... now I believe that D-FA and DA no longer have a meaning and they are used randomly.

Dario

-----Messaggio originale----- From: P. J. Alling
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2012 8:50 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Some thoughts about a Sept announcement of a FF DSLR from Pentax

Actually the latest DFA 100mm macro that's weather resistant doesn't
have an aperture ring, either that or they've done a damned good job
camouflaging it.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/smc_PENTAX_D_FA_MACRO_100mm_F2.8_WR

So far, all D-FA lenses have an aperture ring, while it seems some DA lenses cover 24x36 format (how well, I don't know). So I have the feeling that now DA just means 'without an aperture ring' and D-FA means 'with an aperture ring', irrespectively of the lens coverage.