My Pentax focusing screen adjustment shims finally arrived. I'd like to adjust
it in as few attempts as possible. Is there a good resource that will quantify
how much to adjust the shim?

I set a test up, with the focus point 1 foot away.  The ruler is at about 45
degrees.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/7158253973/in/set-72157629999980375

Autofocus seems to be pretty close to dead nuts (sorry Doug) on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/7158253421/in/set-72157629999980375

Manual focus seems to be slightly front focused:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/7158255285/in/set-72157629999980375

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/7343462032/in/set-72157629999980375

Enough that when it autofocuses, there is a distinct difference in the split
prism.

I'd love to be able to plug  12" distance, 3/64" front focus, and whatever the
shim thickness is into a formula, and get the correct shim thickness on the
first try.  I suspect that what I'll have to do is measure the shim, change the
shim to the next thinner, try the same setup, and then interpolate between the
two to get the proper thickness.