I have and still use from time to time a Vivitar 135/2.5, which is a very good
lens indeed.  Sharp, and less contrasty than many modern lens, but that is a
positive for portraiture, I find.
Someone said that Vivitar Series 1 confounded the opinion that third party lens
were rubbish, and I concur.  They received very high praise from most reviewers
at the time ('70's?).
Not sure where they are at now, however, not having seen a good review of their
products recently.  IIRC, Amateur Photographer rated one of their zooms as poor
recently.

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia