Thanks for the comments PJ, Jack, Frank, Dan, Ken, and thanks to others for
looking.
We live across the river from a small nature sanctuary which has had a resident
eagle for several years. There was mention earlier this year that maybe he had
paired up. We've seen one every 7-10 days, usually cruising by but occasionally
perching briefly. To see the pair together, and to see them perched for 15-20
minutes, was something quite special! I didn't want to leave my viewing spot
but finally broke off long enough to get a monopod. But not long enough to get
out the tripod or a longer lens. If there is a next time I will be more
prepared.

stan