From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Joseph
McAllister
Sent: Sunday, 1 July 2012 2:53 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: tethering Pentax DSLRs?

I'm trying to see the advantage of having a $10,000 camera (+ $$$$ for lenses)
that Pentax
(Hoya-Ricoh) feels like spending the money to write the code to allow some
tethering
features (one?) to their buyer base. One would think there are a much higher
that 10 to 1
ratio for K5 to 645D. Meaning they should port that piece of code over to the K
series of
DSLR.

The thing stopping a port is probably because every new model would have
different needs
to accomplish this. The 645D will most likely not experience a major upgrade
for five or
more years. In which case they should have designed it with a removable back to
upgrade
the chip technology as it becomes available. That brings to mind there would be
a good
chance the whole package would have to be upgraded to handle the extra pixels.

Oh well.

On Jun 30, 2012, at 12:15 , Matthew Hunt wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 3:09 PM, P. J. Alling
> <webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It works fine with the K20D on XP too.  It's just kind of
>> disappointing that Pentax has no official tethering option solution
>> for their arguably most "professional" K mount DSLR to date, or the
>> 645D which shares a lot of it's firmware, which Pentax /does/ consider
>> professional.
>
> Pentax announced a 645D tethering solution in the spring, at a cost of
> $200. It's supposed to be available by now, but I can't actually find
> it for sale yet.
>
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/02/07/pentax-preps-645d-remo
> te-tethering-software
>
> Pentax Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation Announces Pentax 645D Image
> Transmitter Software
>
> DENVER, CO. (February 7, 2012).PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS
> CORPORATION announced the PENTAX IMAGE Transmitter exclusive software
> for the transfer and saving of images taken with the PENTAX 645D
> medium-format digital SLR camera to a personal computer.  The
> transmitter software is equipped to automatically transfer 645D images
> from camera to PC via USB cable.
>
> Overview of the software:
>
> Available in CD-ROM format
>
> Transfer recorded images to a designated file on a personal computer
>
> Records the images simultaneously on an SD memory card installed in
> the camera
>
> The camera's shutter may  be remotely released using the personal
> computer
>
> Available in Japanese and English
>
> Operating manual included on the CD-ROM
>
> The transmitter software will be available in March 2012 for $199.95
> USD on www.pentaxwebstore.com.
>
> NOTE: The camera's firmware must be updated to the latest version in
> order to use this software. The latest firmware is contained in the
> CD-ROM. With the Windows version, Microsoft's .NET Framework 4
> software must be installed on a personal computer in advance.
>
> System requirements
>
> Windows version
> OS Microsoft Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit)
> With a 64-bit system, the software operates as a 32-bit application.
> CPU Intel Core 2 Duo processor or later (Intel Core i5 processor or
> later recommended) Memory 2GB or greater (3GB or greater recommended)
> HDD More than 1GB of available disk space (additional space required
> for image storage) Others USB 2.0 port .NET Framework 4 software
>
> Macintosh version
> OS Mac OS X 10.6 / 10.7
> CPU Intel Core 2 Duo processor or later (Intel Core i5 processor or
> later recommended) Not compatible with PowerPC processors Memory 2GB
> or greater HDD More than 1GB of available disk space (additional space
> required for image storage) Others USB 2.0 port
>
> Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the
> United States and other countries.
> NET Framework is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in
> the United States and other countries.
> [...]
directions.

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

I couldn't remember most of what I know today if it weren't for others sharing
their
knowledge of my past on the Internet. Thank you.

the
directions.