On 7/14/2012 11:17 AM, John Sessoms wrote:
From: Ann Sanfedele

The first shot, without endangered fingers, is best anyway ...

I cautioned someone once who was feeding Union Square park squirrels
offering tidbits with bare fingers, and not even flat-handed and was
told angrily that squirrels don't get rabies and to mind my own business.

ann

According to what I can find on the internet, that might be almost true. The risk of getting rabies from being bitten by a squirrel is rather low.

A squirrel that gets bitten by another rabid animal is most likely going to die from being eaten before it can incubate the virus.

Animals with Rabies don't eat, they bite to spread Rabies. Although a big animal might accidentally kill a squirrel when it bites it.

OTOH ... http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-12-20-squirrel_x.htm

Opossums don't get rabies. It has something to do with their body temperature not being high enough to sustain the virus. That's what the animal control officer told me when she came to retrieve the one I caught in my kitchen a couple of years back.

--
Don't lose heart, they might want to cut it out, and they'll want to avoid a
lengthly search.