The substance called rubber got its name because when rubbed on paper, pencil
and ink marks disappeared.

So in fact your wife's royal wedding commemorative rubber (which she used for
so many years) was performing the function that gave rise to why rubber got
called rubber in the first place.

I'll bet you didn't know that...

The "other" meaning of rubber which you allude to is much more recent. It only
came about in the 1930s.

So there you go. What starts out as a photo of a couple of English monarchists
comes around to a discussion of condoms.

I love pdml!

Cheers,
frank

"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." --
Christopher Hitchens