From: Igor Roshchin <s...@komkon.org>
To: PDML@pdml.net
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:50 AM
Subject: Re: The real reasons why flash use is banned in galleries

When I was in the 8th grade, I heard an example about a museum guard
who was telling the visitors that a certain item was 4008 years old.
Somebody asked him about how he knew it so exactly. His answer was:
"I started working here 8 years ago, and then they told me that that
item was 4 thousand years old".

It was supposed to be an example about number of significant digits and
unnecessary accuracy. But over the years, I've learned that (with a
small but great [when it happens] exception) many museum/tour guides
(especially in regular tourist places) are just machines who learned
and then play back the information without giving much thought to it.

Cheers,

Igor

Wed Jul 25 12:29:55 EDT 2012