Ditto on Macintosh computers.

Using one gig out of the box as a backup one finds out that attaching through a
powered hub creates a hard drive that won't wake up for Retrospect, which makes
for no backup. When asleep, if it doesn't wake up fast enough for Retrospect,
which reports it to the OS as being missing, so it is unmounted by the OS. It's
a faulty combination of firmware and non-erasable software that makes it
unreliable for anything other than normal storage.

It still sits on the shelf, waiting for some day that I may want to use it for
something else. All of my other drives are connected the same way, and work
reliably, or as reliable as any hard drive. I keep 5 TB of unused spares on
standby (2,2,1).