I would think PDML members could give the British police a close run.

I did not equate offensive posting to hate speech - I simply pointed
out that there is no single universal definition, and that in every
jurisdiction there is a somewhat arbitrary line drawn somewhere.

I suspect the reported case may well fail the test of "fair comment"
(or whether it would be possible for the hypothetical "reasonable
person" to hold such a viewpoint). That's up to the judge to decide.
(That would, of course, also be true of a "I hate/like cats!" post).

Perhaps the (current) British legal position is too restrictive.
But the American standpoint (where the legality of an offensive
statement depends on whether the exact nature of the slur falls into
certain categories, or uses certain prohibited words, and not how
hurtful the statement was intended to be) is not necessarily better.