Answering my own question, I googled it and found that it's common and
well regarded to set up a tandem's cranks out-of-phase (OOP), by
anything from two chain teeth up to 90 degrees.  From what I read it
seems that the rear rider, the 'stoker', should be behind the front
seater's phase rather than ahead of it.

regards, Anthony