From: Godfrey DiGiorgi

My experience with WD drives is not great either. But not the drives
themselves, the enclosures. Once I ditched the 2T RAID case and moved
the drives into a third party RAID case, they became completely
reliable.

I don't know what crapware comes on any drive. Any drive I buy I
immediately reformat without looking at what's on it. I have
everything I need to manage drives built into OS X, don't want any of
that junk.

I have a stack of old failed IDE hard-drives waiting to go to the crusher. Wake County (where I live) has a collection point that takes old computer hardware & includes secure destruction for old hard-drives. This discussion prompted me to take a look at them.

Sure enough, all of them are Western Digital.

Plus, now I won't be able to rest until I've pulled out all of my older USB drives and exercised them, just to make sure none of them has failed since I last used them.

I've already found that I misplaced one of the power (mains) cords. Fortunately the cord from my D-BC50 battery charger fits.