on 2012-08-01 19:55 John Francis wrote
On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 03:40:43PM -0600, steve harley wrote:
on 2012-08-01 10:55 John Francis wrote
Why, why, WHY will people insist on posting spoilers to unrelated groups?

most of the world, including Canada iirc, is in real-time, and may
not be aware of #NBCfail

I presume you are referring to NBC's tape delay?

the time-delay specifically, yes, but the hashtag represents a variety of "fails" in NBC's Olympics coverage

That's only for the
evening prime-time show, as far as I know.

i don't know — the road races were certainly time-delayed last weekend; i only have the broadcast version of NBC, and am not trying to record everything

But the live coverage for
many of the events is at hours which are not PDT-friendly.  In any
case, I can't watch everything in real time - that's why I have TiVos.

this is my fourth Olympics with TiVo; we got TiVo and cable for the 2000 games, and soon realized cable wasn't worth it but TiVo was … so for 12 years just about all the TV i've watched has been on time delay, Olympics included, and i've given up on avoiding spoilers i get a lot of news from elsewhere than TV, e.g. RSS feeds from BBC and NZ Herald plus (**do not click if you don't want spoilers!**) this:

<http://olympics.newsriver.org>

the problem with avoiding spoilers (in general) is that you can't celebrate or gasp in horror with the rest of the world