I travelled in that general area a few years ago, when I visited Romania. I
spent a week or so in Sighetu Marmatiei, in Maramures County, and from there
went walking in the hills around the border with the Ukraine. The people in
the valleys and hills were wonderfully friendly - I posted a photo essay
from there some years ago, this was shortly after Valentin Donisa of fond
memory had taken me on a tour of the Moldovensc and Suceava region - and
welcoming.

They spoke Ukrainian, I think. In any case, my hopeless attempts to speak
Russian were not welcomed, and they did not appear to speak Romanian or
Hungarian, as far as I could tell. I would love to spend more time in that
region.