Bruce Walker wrote:

>Zach Arias has been on a roll answering good questions with practical
>advice on his Q&A blog. But he really steps out on a limb with this
>one I think.
>
>"And oh dear please…. please. For the love of all that is good and
>holy about photography… please don’t be the “fine art” photographer
>that shoots flowers, and dead leaves, and macro shots of bark, and
>hang them in your local coffee house. You know what I’m talking about.
>Photo 101 assignments passed off as “fine art”. Ain’t nothing fine art
>about that stuff.
>Fine. Call me a jerk. You know what I’m talking about. Canoes on a
>lake. A bike leaning against a red door with a little green ivy
>sneaking in the corner. An old mailbox on a dusty road. A model mayhem
>beauty queen wearing a Victorian dress and a German gas mask… in a
>cemetery. A coffee cup on an old book. An HDR’ed lighthouse at sunset.
>An HDR’ed macro shot of your cat’s eye. Don’t get me started on naked
>chicks on train tracks or laying on rocks."

What pretentious twaddle. "Fine Art" is just art that is created
primarily for aesthetic purposes. In other words, not "Applied Art":
creations that, while they do have aesthetic appeal as a goal, are
made primarily for a practical purpose. Any photograph that is made as
art (as opposed to, I dunno... rolling up and swatting flies) is Fine
Art.

The design of the Marc Newson Pentax K-01 is Applied Art. The cute
kitten photos you take with it are Fine Art. Whether or not either one
is any *good* is a separate and unrelated question. :-)

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com