I suspect that the proliferation of mailing apps on a proliferation of
operating systems across a proliferation of platforms is the reason
for whatever non-standard behaviour you may notice on any particular
day.  The old reason was that digest subscribers were cutting and
pasting from a digest into a new mail (when they don't is when you see
a mail titled as a digest number).

regards, Anthony