> Owner reviews are far from useless (as some have opined here).
> However, there is no getting around the fact that they can be written
> by idiots or by knowledgable people (or by people who fall just about
> anywhere along that bell curve). The trick is to weight them, as you
> read, to determine whether a reviewer's point is legitimate or the
> result of someone who never cracks a manual (etc).
>
> Regarding the particular issue your quoted reviewers raised... it is a
> fairly widely reported complaint with the camera and if you have yet
> to handle it your conclusion that it is NO problem, even if eventually
> proves correct in your case, is a bit premature. (Just google NEX-7
> and accident or accidentally or accidental and videos. It is also
> called an automatic video issue.).  That would seem to indicate an
> error in ergonomic design (at least as it applies to still
> photographer's desired ergonomics. People buying it more to shoot
> video with would probably regard it as a feature). Certainly it is
> possible to learn new behaviors, but for those who don't wish to learn
> new behavoirs and have the camera react naturally in your hands I
> would say it is not an insigificant issue. The other potential error
> in dismissing such complaints as being written by idiots is that you
> are assuming that everyone's hands are the same size. A hand-related
> ergonomic issue for a 6' 5" 295 lb male may be no problem for a 5'7"
> woman or (in general). One size does not fit all (and if the reviewers
> neglected to mention that as a possible issue in their case that is an
> oversight on their part).
>
> Luminous Landscape (I believe a generally well-respected site) has a
> whole article on it entitled "The Big Problem with the NEX 7". In it
> he proposes a "red-neck fix".
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/the_sony_nex_7_redneck_edition.shtml
>
> It is a mistake to conclude that just because something is not an
> issue for me, personally, then it shouldn't be an issue for anybody.
> It is also arrogant to jump to the conclusion that the best
> explanation for the problem is a lack of intelligence on the part of
> the user (even though, as people in I.T. know, that often eventually
> does prove to be the case.)
> : )
>
> This thread is sort of a case in point (people on all sides of the
> issue weighing in)
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&thread=41551682&page=1

Thanks for that and for goodness sakes stop posting my private
messages to the list!!! :)

My apologies Steve and Don. You were kind enough to reply and
unfortunately I was in a ranting and raving mood about a number of
subjects this morning and you got caught in the cross-hairs, and I
went trash-talking behind your back. I hate when my wife does that to
me!  Your comments are both valid of course.

Be comforted in the fact that my self-flagellation will not cease
until my sin has been fully re mediated.

Tom C