On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Paul Stenquist wrote:

> The rectangular ones are the most effective, as they allow the greatest depth
> without vignetting.
> Paul

Not really... a circular hood won't vignette more than a rectangular one,
though it will take up more space and may block the built-in flash more.
It's also not a good idea to use rectangular hoods on lenses with a
rotating front element, for obvious reasons.  I prefer circular ones
myself for that reason, though I'll use any well-made hood as long as it
matches up with the lens.

chris