I remember having one of those chemistry sets when I was a child. Can't remember how I came to have it, because I know my parents wouldn't buy it for me.

My first college room-mate was a chemistry major. He was weird too.  8-D

From: Steven Desjardins

While at the American Chemical Society meeting, I made a visit
(pilgrimage) to the Chemistry Heritage Museum.  (Do try to contain
yourselves.)  I waited in line to get in, a rare experience I'm sure.
I asked the very frazzled woman at the desk how her day was going.
She asked me to consider what the normal foot traffic would be for the
Chemical Heritage Museum and how that might change when an
international group of 15,000 chemists are having a meeting 6 blocks
away.  She also did point out that the "voluntary contributions" that
week amounted to about 25% of their yearly budget.  Here's a
collection of images since I assume limited interest and don't want to
drag you through them Peso by Peso.

Old Faithful, the earliest commercial chemical reactor in the US to
produce Bakelite, the first commercially available plastic/
http://drd1135.smugmug.com/Photography/pdml/i-LwVh7ZJ/0/X2/bakelite-X2.jpg

A very earl;y commercial battery:
http://drd1135.smugmug.com/Photography/pdml/i-vkJscCg/0/X2/battery-X2.jpg

Chemistry sets.  I owned several of these.
http://drd1135.smugmug.com/Photography/pdml/i-mm2LMq5/0/X2/chemistry-sets-X2.jpg

The handwritten version of  one of the earliest papers on the chemical
use of nuclear magnetic resonance, and the Noble prize that resulted.
I could not get a shot without those reflections ;-(
http://drd1135.smugmug.com/Photography/pdml/i-96548wn/0/X2/NMR-paper-X2.jpg

Some very old alchemical books:
http://drd1135.smugmug.com/Photography/pdml/i-7h29L5k/0/X2/alchemy-books-X2.jpg

Finally, the title page of the famous book "The Skeptical Chymist" by
Boyle.  ON of the first real books on modern Chemisty:
http://drd1135.smugmug.com/Photography/pdml/i-XHMSwRr/0/X2/Skeptical-Chymist-X2.jpg