Den 30. aug. 2012 kl. 21:03 skrev John Sessoms:

> From: Joseph McAllister

>>> Yes I did.  I am firmly opposed to the concept of software patents.
>>> Mathematical formulas are not patentable. Sentence constructions are not
>>> patentable.  All patent portfolios do is block smaller companies out of the
>>> marketplace.
>>
>> Unfu*kingbelievable.
>>
>> No point in writing a book then.  It's just words. Doesn't 'do' anything.
>
> Books don't get patented, they're copyrighted. So does software.
>
> The software patent crap is just to give corporations one more weapon they
> can use to quash competition.

Oh well, if you say so. I´m not going to repeat myself :-)

In Europe we are just as unhappy by the US patent system as you are, but
experience tells us that the problem is related to at least these points:
1. The triple damages and system which makes it possible to making a living
from suing people, without taking the risk of having to pay the other parties
costs if you loose. So you get trolls.
2. That there is almost no way for third party to object to stupid patents. So
you get stupid patents, especially in the software area.
3. That the patent law requires that the invention is "useful", not technical.
So people patent non-technical stuff like business methods etc.

We have software patents too, but we don´t have many problems with them.

Oh well, I think I´m going to kill a stupid US patent application tomorrow, but
to do that I will have to file a third party observation in Germany, so I´ll
stop here :-)

DagT