On 31 August 2012 05:34, Walter Hamler <hamlerwal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Whew! None of mine are there.
>
> Cars I Have Owned

(clip)

Here's my list with some comments.  One of mine got onto the list,
under a different name.

1970 Morris Mini K
Australian model with a torquey, lazy 1100cc engine.  Later fitment of
twin 1 3/4inch SU carbies and extractors made it fly like shit off a
shovel, but a broken engine mount led to one carb being smashed, and
it was reverted to the standard 1 1/4 inch SU, keeping the extractors.
 Gearbox in sump caused fast ring and bearing wear because of metal
contaminents getting into engine, an old Mini shortcoming.  When oil
loss reached a litre per thousand kilometres it was time to move on.

1980 Suzuki Stockman LJ80V
 V = van body.  The Australian name for the Jimny, the original 4WD
Kei car.  I had this one for nine happy years, and 170,000km.  The
engine was getting a little knocky in the end which was an amazing
long life for a sub litre engine that was taken to the redline on
every gearchange for most of its life.  I would have kept it for twice
as long, maybe forever, if 3rd gear hadn't broken when I couldn't
afford the repair.

1977 Toyota Corona
Well into its 2nd decade when it was put down due to terminal
tattiness, but it just wouldn't die.  At one time it blew the
head-gasket when I couldn't afford repairs (a frequently recurring
story).  The radiator was left bubbling and fizzing, and the engine
oil turned to mousse.  A change of fluids, some Bars-Leaks in the
radiator and STP additive in the engine oil, and it healed itself and
continued to improve for another year and a half.  A bulletproof car
if ever there was one.

1959 Morris Minor 1000 2-door
An amazingly modern driving experience (excluding the pathetic brakes)
for a car that was 35 years old. Wrecked on my 3rd day of ownership
when it was rear-ended while stopped at the roadside.  The fuel tank
had run dry although indicating 1/4 full.  The dealer later said about
the fuel guage, "Oh yeah, they all do that".  That's the kind of
information best shared sooner rather than later. >_<

1984 Holden Camira
The deservedly maligned GM J-car.  In its defence it was a very sweet
drive with tight, stable handling and a free-revving 1.6 litre engine
that could easily exceed the redline even in 5th gear.  In the end It
lost the race against galloping rust.  Poor detail design meant that
there were dust and water traps that wouldn't drain out, exacerbating
the low quality paint coverage inside the body panels and dodgy steel
with fissures and random crystallization.  The J-car, in it guise as
the 1982 Cadillac Cimarron, earns its place in the worst 50 for this
reason alone.

1981 Honda Accord Sedan
Pleasant white-goods on wheels.  Semi-automatic gearbox was a bore.
Fairly uneventful ownership except for a top-end rebuild after a
broken cam-belt, beware of used cars without log books.  Rust got this
one in the end, too.

1991 Toyota Camry Wagon
Strong car, satisfying drive.  Bulletproof like the Corona.  A serious
overheating event mid-life should have killed the engine, but a
thorough service found no problem, so with new water hoses and plug
leads (the heat melted the old set!!!) it soldiered on until the old
bogeyman rust began to creep in (did I mention that I live on the
coast?).

2005 Ford Focus Zetec 5-door    Pleasant drive but the Zetec body-kit was
too low for most suburban driveways and shopping mall car parks,
grounding itself almost daily.  The 4 speed auto gearbox was behind
the curve at a time when most other cars were getting 5 or 6 speed
autos, and was a disappointing aspect of the Focus due to the big gaps
between gears.

2008 Ford Focus Ghia sedan      Much the same as the previous car but
without the low body-kit and with a boot (trunk) rather than a rear
hatch.  Comfy leather upholstery was nicer than the nasty microfibre
of the Zetec, while a less sporty wheel/tyre combination made it a
smoother ride.  Still that same gearbox with not enough ratios.

2011 Hyundai ix35 Elite 2.0CRD  Yes, a dreaded SUV.  The attraction
wasn't the all-wheel-drive, it was the interior space, hugely bigger
than the Focus Ghia but with a smaller footprint on the road, handy in
my parking-space deficient street.  The turbocharged diesel engine
pulls like a train.  Hills don't seem to exist anymore and its cabin
quietness on the freeway needs to be NOT heard to be believed.

regards, Anthony