And thank you Bruce (and Steve) :-)

I love that list on time 8:20 in the film. The two middle ones are on my list
of US problems with their system. These are two of the reasons why the problem
is not as large in Europe.

Yes, every progress is a mix of old thoughts. Let me tell how we think about
progress around here when it comes to protection: Why have what we call a
"problem-solution approach".
You have a problem? Yes
Has anyone else solved it? No
Was it easy to solve? Well...

Then we come to the discussion, but the discussion is fairly easy to follow
because it relates to how a person having the problem would think if he knew
about everything already published in the field. The general rule is that if
you combine two publications it is easy. More then that may be discussed. We
also distinguish between stuff known from books in school and stuff known from
less known publications.

This works well for most fields and tries to base the protection on how the
inventor should think, not their lawyers.

In what most people think of as software software it may be very difficult,
simply because the patent system is not able to find out what is known in the
"technical field". Software people tend to publish by just telling about it, or
spreading the program. So it is impossible for the patent examiner to know what
was known when the invention was made. He does not know it the problem has been
solved already.

So software patent may very easily end up as the song writers in the lecture,
the inventor does not remember (or acknowledge) his inspiration and it is very
difficult for anybody else to find out.

I love working with creative people, I know a lot about how they work, and they
definitely borrow ideas, but the best of them change the ideas to something
great. Sometime this change earns a reward, or need it in order to come to
market in order to help people. Like a system I recently worked on trying to
detect single molecules in a fluid such as a blood stream. A combination of
known ideas  no one had made before.

DagT