Mon Sep 3 14:35:26 EDT 2012
Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> > On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Igor Roshchin <str at komkon.org> wrote:
> > Just in case, you want to be aware of the following potential danger.
> >
> > Situation:
> > You have a catalog that contains a folder with sub-folders of photos
> > that you might have accidentally (or purposely but temporarily) moved
> > away.
> > Those will have question marks next to them.
> >
> > Action:
> > You try to move the entire top folder to a different location from
> > within LR catalog.
> > All the sub-folders and information about files that were edited but
> > are
> > temporarily not available will be lost, and LR does not issue any
> > warnings about that or ask what it should do with them.

<..>

> That's an interesting bug. Something of an edge case I think, but
> certainly an issue.
>
> I tested it. It happens when you move image files from within LR
> across volume boundaries, but not from one place to another within a
> volume. (It has nothing to do with moving the catalog, far as I can
> tell, it has to do with moving files around from within a catalog. The
> catalog and the file repository it refers to are two separate things.)
>
> To me, the behavior I'd want to see in this situation is that LR would
> move every referenced file it can find to the new location but leave
> the ones that it cannot find in place in the catalog with the old path
> information intact. That way, you could reinstate them into the new
> location, then update the catalog with their new containing folder,
> preserving all the data that you've annotated them with in the
> catalog.
>
> Have you filed a bug report/enhancement request with Adobe about it?

Yes, indeed, it is an edge case of the type that is clearly not
considered by the developers ("Why would you remove your files from the
drive?" ;-) )

I suspected, but didn't test if this effect was limited to when moving
across the volumes or not.  I was moving it from one partition to another
(Win7 here).  So, thank you for testing it a step further.

I just finished filing this bug, and added the clarification that it
should be across the volumes.

Thank you,

Igor