I've always thought that the Foveon sensor was looking for a way to
win over other camera manufacturers to use their chip, but the price
was too high (and the alternative technology more than good enough) so
that no one wanted to pay the piper. Sigma bought the entire company
(all shares) and I think that their market cap is probably too large
for them to be taken over by any other company for their technology or
patents. Foveon could end up being the Betamax of digital sensors.