I haven't gone through all of my attempts.  For this sort of work I seriously
need a much better tripod head.

Here is one that I spent a little time on.  I zoomed in on Jupiter, and used
the adjustment brush to bring the moons out without bringing up the exposure on
the noise.  Kind of a manual HDR.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/7954945966/in/set-72157631464003236/