There is a fantasy author I like who got dropped by his publisher.  He
self-publishes on Amazon, but also uses Kickstarter to raise money.
When he raises enough (usually about $5000) he will write the novel.
Contributors get an electronic or hard copy depending on the size of
the donation.  This kind of Web patronage may become more common.

--
Steve Desjardins