On Sep 19, 2012, at 11:17 AM, Paul Stenquist wrote:

> But improved autofocus will be even nicer. If it's truly a step up, the K5
> IIs will take the lead spot ahead of my K5, and the current backup, a K7,
> will go on ebay.

I recognize that I tend to take photos in conditions that are a bit more
challenging than most people face.  I've spent the past couple of days going
through my photos from last weekend.  I'd say that I lost the most shots
through mis-focus.  Unfortunately I can't easily tell in lightroom which were
manual and which were auto focus.  The biggest camera change to improve my
keeper ratio would probably be more focus points, each one restricted to a
narrower range.  I lost several photos because the camera focused on someone
closer to the camera that was just barely in the frame.  Then, of course, there
is the ongoing problem with focusing on the microphone.

Beyond that, faster accurate focus in stupid low light would really help.
Dancers just are not considerate enough to only move perpendicular to the line
of focus.

One feature that would really help me would be different exposure metering
modes, one where I could say to not meter on the bright back lighting, another,
where it would ignore dark backgrounds (though that is more a lightroom issue).
 I mostly just shoot manual exposure anyways, but sometimes when people are
moving around from light to dark areas, I don't have that luxury and have to go
to TAv.

There were also a bunch of pictures that weren't "lost" per se, but were
rougher than I'd like because in order to have a fast enough shutter speed for
lindy hop, I was shooting in the ISO 12,800-25,600 range.  An 8MP sensor with
the latest technology would do me more good than a 24MP sensor.

Well done mirrorless technology could alleviate a lot of my problems.  Without
the mirrorbox and needing retrofocus lenses, I could get faster wide lenses.
When focus is an issue, a sharp 30/1.4 on APS would do me more good than a FF
50/1.4.  Likewise, for manually focusing in the dark, liveview, and I imagine
focus peaking , would be an immense aid.

However, most of these things would make no difference to a landscape
photographer.  Sure, fast wide glass would be nice, but it's not as big of an
issue if you have a tripod.  Ralf's probably the only one crazy enough to shoot
landscapes at night.