On Sep 21, 2012, at 7:11 AM, Bob W wrote:

> those wacky physicists will really be letting their hair down when they
> celebrate this year's Ig Prize:
> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19667664>

The Acoustics prize amused me.  Each year, the science club at my high school
(The Brotherhood of Natural Philosophers, Chemistry and Physics affiliated)
would hold it's annual installation of new members (we weren't allowed to call
it initiation) at the house of our faculty advisor:
http://home.comcast.net/~pqboom/tour/tour.html

One of the traditions would be to quiz (interrogate) each of the perspective
members (specimens) in front of everyone, while they spoke into a microphone
that was connected to a reel to reel tape deck that could play things back with
either a slight delay, or an echo loop.  People would be given some simple task
such as reciting the alphabet (backwords) or the Oath (*), and part way
through, the person running the tape deck would kick in the time delay on
playback.  Hearing your own words after a slight delay, I can assure you, is a
very disconcerting and disorienting (maybe that's why Tsukada developed his
invention, he wanted to be disoriented) experience.

* I swear by the beard of Sir Francis Bacon that I shall never loaf in chemistry
May the pain of 500ml of the most terrible reagent to be found in the
laboratory
be inflicted upon my wretched being if I should ever indulge in the
transgression
of procrastination.  So help me Dalton.

**  https://www.google.com/search?q=boomeria