Thanks Mark!

It does seem a bit hot to me as well. I process on an old laptop and the
brightness/contrast on the screen changes drastically if I change my vertical
angle of view by only a few degrees. I think that's what happened here.

After I read your post last night at the hospital (ain't technology amazin'?) I
did a bit of research and discovered that there are many species of bumble bee
(who knew?) and found a few that looked very similar to this (but different
eyes). They even had the "bald spot" on their back. This guy was much longer
and bigger than the round bumbles that I've noticed before. Much bigger and
fuzzier than a honeybee, so yeah, I am thinking species of bumble bee.

Thanks for the wing talk. I knew that many insects had two pairs that hook
together and I certainly knew that butterflies, moths and dragonflies had two
sets (obvious to the naked eye). But I had no idea that ~only~ flies had one
pair.

Interesting!

Thanks again and thanks to all who commented. Much appreciated!

cheers,
frank

"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." --
Christopher Hitchens