I'll give them a little license, with the instant return mirror, Asahi essentially invented the modern SLR. I have an Alpa Reflex, (type II, Badged Bolsey Reflex), that is really quite crude with an non instant return mirror and "waist" level thru the lens viewing, no prism. Believe me Pentax invented the modern SLR.

On 9/23/2012 2:34 PM, knarftheria...@gmail.com wrote:
I don't think that Pentax "invented the slr".

I thought that the Asahi innovation with the Pentax camera (it was originally
just a model of an Asahi brand camera) was that it had the first instantly
returning mirror.

Before that when the mirror raised and shutter fired the mirror stayed up (and
the viewfinder remained black) until the shutter was cocked (don't know if this
was tied into winding the film yet) for the next photo.

But there were slrs around before the Pentax.

Cheers,
frank

"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." --
Christopher Hitchens

--- Original Message ---

From: "P. J. Alling" <webstertwenty...@gmail.com>
Sent: September 23, 2012 9/23/12
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Luminious landscape Photokina report.

Pull quote about Pentax, in fact pretty much the entire report about
Pentax...

"Oh, god, poor Pentax. They invented the SLR, though you would never
know it. Their cameras have always been excellent. Their lenses have
always been excellent. Their marketing? Face-palm! Pentax had but a
fraction of the physical presence of the other major makers, and nothing
to push their innovative products. The foremost of these is the K-5IIs,
which, hugely, looses the dreaded Anti-aliasing filter. This is the
first APS-C sized camera to take that brave step, following in the
D800E’s lead. This is potentially a big deal, but I could barely get
anyone to even explain it to me. Ugh."

Marketing!

--
Don't lose heart, they might want to cut it out, and they'll want to avoid a
lengthly search.