From: Brian Walters

Quoting Tom C <caka...@gmail.com>:

From: Mark Roberts <postmas...@robertstech.com>
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: Pentax K-01 a dead end?

Tom C wrote:

The interview sort of boggles the mind. It doesn't seem they can say
anything for sure, with confidence, except that the "645D continuity
is assured".

It's standard press release-speak: Try to sound like you're saying
something while concealing as much as possible. They aren't going to
reveal future plans in any venue where their competitors can read it.

I don't even bother reading most of these things any more.

I agree. There was definitely a lot of corporate-speak in there.
However, in their case, announcing their plans couldn't conceivably
hurt them unless they failed to follow through.

For instance, if they were developing a FF body, to say so would
somewhat quiet the talk about not having anyone, and it's not like
anything Pentax could do would worry the competition. To say they were
dumping the K-mount for EVIL mirror-less cameras, would not affect the
competition.

Exactly.  I was about to post something along similar lines.

Telling the market that a FF was under development and would be
expected in early 2013 (say) might stop a few people jumping ship and
would hardly be likely to give some market advantage to competitors.
It's not as if Pentax is ahead of the game here.

But I probably don't understand marketing...

Neither does anyone else, especially the people who do it for a living.