At one point most if not all of our electricity came from water turbines. I
think that Niagara Falls was the first waterfall to be used to develop
hydro-electric power in this province.

Eventually much larger hydro-electric projects were developed up north so huge
rows of high tension wires came into the southern cities from these generation
stations.

You can see some towers in the top picture (Hydro lines II).

In fact our electric utilities are called "hydro": Toronto Hydro, Ontario
Hydro, Hydro Quebec, etc. Around these parts the word "hydro" is a synonym for
electricity. "Just got my hydro bill." "They put up the hydro rates again!"

I believe that we now get more of our electricity from thermal and nuclear
plants but we still get hydro out of our wall sockets.

Btw, great pix, Dave!

cheers,
frank

"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." --
Christopher Hitchens