Derby,
I ran a department meeting where we wanted to honor a new US citizen.
I asked anyone who's parents were immigrants to stand, then asked for
anyone who's grandparents were immigrants to stand.  With virtually the
whole room standing, I announced our newest immigrant, a Filipino friend.
We gave him a standing ovation.  He didn't want to be acknowledged,
but I wanted him to know he was not alone.

Tim Bray,
That's a visionary story of brutal hardship overcome.

And Maritim Tim,
Good to see you doing good things with your feet on dry land!

Regards,  Bob S.  (The grandson of proud Polish immigrants)