> From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Tim Bray
>
> Photo tour of Google data centers; visually dramatic:
> http://www.google.com/about/datacenters/gallery/#/

in the blink of an eye that will all look old hat and ridiculously
oversized.

When I started in computing in 1981 I worked for an international brewing
and tobacco company. Our machine room looked like this ICL 2966 set-up in
the National Computing Museum (see
http://techtinkering.com/2010/06/15/the-national-museum-of-computing-at-blet
chley-park/ - sponsored by Google, thanks) only ours was 2 or 3 times the
size. It was very impressive in its day, and I loved working in there at
night when there was no-one around.

The amount of storage we had at that time, to run a whole multinational
company, would fit with plenty of room to spare on the mini-SD card, the
size of my small fingernail, in my portable phone.

Your time will come!