From: Bob W <p...@web-options.com>
Sent: October 17, 2012 10/17/12
To: "'Pentax-Discuss Mail List'" <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: RE: PESO - Fountains Abbey Chancel

> From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
> knarftheria...@gmail.com
>
> Amazing shot. Just think of all the events that happened at that
> church: weddings, baptisms, funerals. It must feel quite special at
> that spot.

I don't think any of those things would have happened - it was an abbey, full
of monks. It would have been licentiousness, greed, usury, fornication,
gluttony and probably idolatry, otherwise Henry VIII would not have dissolved
it, surely.

The monasteries and abbeys were a kind of corporate, multinational organisation
owing their allegiance to Rome, populated by powerful and ambitious men at the
top. They controlled enormous agricultural holdings and acted as a giant wealth
magnetic, sucking money out of the poor, whom they exploited ruthlessly by
lying to them about their souls, preventing them from getting an education and
bamboozling them into believing that their position at the bottom of society
was ordained by god and therefore unchangeable. Nuns were little more than the
monks' sexual playthings, and other woman were beneath acknowledgement as human
beings.