The easiest way to explain it is to describe how the film version works.

The camera has a vertical slit the height of the frame.  The film
moves horizontally past the slit.  Anything that is not moving will
read as a streak, because from the film's perspective, it's always in
the same position as the film moves.

Anything that is moving is only recorded as it passes in front of the slit.

For racing, it's used to see who passes the finish line first.  The
first person to cross is clearly shown, and each successive person to
cross in front of the slit records farther to the side of the frame.

I don't know how the digital version works, maybe a strip sensor that
is sampled many times per second and composited in-camera.  I wonder
if it wouldn't be possible to do something like this for normal
cameras and smartphones.

It's really quite ingenious, and when you use it as an art tool, you
get some striking imagery.  The man and horses is my favorite of the
set.

--
David Parsons Photography
http://www.davidparsonsphoto.com