With the money allocated for anti-terrorism after 9/11/01, one of the things
that was set up in the 'big' cities was a method of tracking where each coach
was, as a method of identifying say, a stolen bus, or one hijacked, or blown up
(loss of signal). Transportation dispatchers looked at this and thought, we can
see where drivers are stopping for coffee, having a go in the back with a doll
(better when cameras came along in the middle 2000s) allowing them evidence for
punishment of drivers, or the passengers who flogged them, physically and
mentally. (We have a secret button to call the cops, and they know exactly
where we are! )

Come forward a few years and shifty engineers who knew about this developed the
systems to which you refer. They were put in major transfer stations in 2005,
when I left in 2007 they were replacing bus and train stop kiosks with first
CRTs behind unbreakable glass [when that was shown to not be true] by those red
LED reader boards with voice that announce when the next XX bus will arrive,
late of course, and to have your fare ready. "It is a misdemeanor to avoid
paying the fare". We drivers, of course, were told we could only remind a
scofflaw once, then shut up and drive. Saved a few drivers a bloody nose, I'm
sure.

So there you have it Bob. Transportation history from the inside. Wiki probably
has a say on it, maybe different. If you've been in government, you know to ask
for the maximum allocation of funds, and provide some reason for getting it.
Surplus to some other agency or trash it before the next fiscal allocation year
comes around.