Notching would make it easier to put a brace across the bottom to stiffen it more.

From: David J Brooks

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Rick Womer <rwomer1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Wouldn't lag bolts and some bracing, without notching, be at least
as strong and a lot easier?
Rick

Here is the original
stand:http://www.flickr.com/photos/djbrooks/8109428323/in/photostream
The two small cross members, the ones that the barrel actually sits
on, are the ones that spread apart about an inch or so.

Dave

http://photo.net/photos/RickW