Thanks, Stan, and thanks to everyone who waded in on this one.

Lots of thoughtful and thought-provoking comments.

I think I agree with the majority. He was in public and my portrayal of him
wasn't demeaning or insulting.

For me it's a different situation if one sleeping in a doorway or on a sidewalk
grate; my feeling is that's their "bedroom" and is as close to privacy as they
may ever get. I will always ask before photographing in that situation.

I will agree with Dan: the vast majority of those sleeping in the streets have
serious substance addictions, a major mental illness or (more likely) both.
Because they don't have a fixed address they can't get welfare, without a home
or place to become presentable they will never get a job and the downward
spiral is inevitable.

I want to portray such people with dignity and compassion and frankly I think I
succeeded here.

Thanks again for all the thoughts.

Cheers,
 frank