Thanks Bruce.

The skin still has pore detail in the full res image. Like you, I look
at a lot of over cooked images too.

My general retouch technique is spot healing brush/patch tool for
blemishes, the clone stamp on lighten with a very low opacity (about
10% or less) for under the eyes, and the final skin smoothing is based
on this tutorial:

<http://youtu.be/Fv4L1-TaGhI>

I skip the 2 Gaussian blur steps and just reduce the skin smoothing
adjustment layers opacity at the end.

Cheers,

Dave