From: Kevin Thornsberry <kevin_thornsbe...@compuserve.com>
Sent: November 4, 2012 11/4/12
To: pdml@pdml.net
Subject: My First PESO - 30 years late

To the best of my knowledge, I've never submitted a PESO.  But today, I was
testing a new scanner and pulled out an old notebook of slide sleeves from
pictures I took in Brasil almost 30 years ago and came across this picture
of Rio de Janeiro.  It's not a great picture and I just happened to be at
this location at this time so I can't even claim much intent, but it warmed
my heart for a few reasons:

1)  For some reason, I didn't originally care enough for the picture to
remember taking it.  The slide was a little darker than this which is
probably the reason.  Now I get to rediscover it.
2)  It revived a memory.
3)  I took it with my first "real" camera, my Pentax K-1000.  Since then
I've owned a P-3N, ZX-5N, *ist-D, K-7 and a K-5.  I still love that K-1000
most of all even though the K-5 is a much more practical tool for my needs
and entertainment now.  I still love to hear the shutter of the K-1000.  It
has such a satisfying mechanical combination of a click and a clunk.  The
K-1000 now sits, retired, on a shelf over my desk, in a collection of things
that are special to me.  I bought the camera with a bag, flash and a
50mm/1.8 lens in 1982 from a guy entering journalism school which required
everyone to have a specific model of camera.
4)  I was too poor for a tripod so I know I took the picture handheld.

So, for those of you who still hold that emotional attachment to your
K-1000, or LX or ME-Super I'd like to share this oldie from my K-1000.

http://thornsberry.smugmug.com/photos/i-6FCN7z5/1/X2/i-6FCN7z5-X2.jpg

Kevin