From: kwal...@peoplepc.com
Sent: November 11, 2012 11/11/12
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: OT: Election Commentary

Many years ago, while planning my first visit to Alaska - a month long
backpack trip with my then 5 year old son & wife, centered around 2 weeks in
Denali National Park -  I investigated having a weapon with me knowing full
well that we would be in Grizzly bear country.

Some of my findings -
A gun of any kind is not legally allowed in any U.S. National Park
You can't legally transport a gun thru Canada
You had better be a damm good marksman, with nerves of steel, if you expect
to immobilize a Grizz at close range with any hand held pistol/rifle.
Better to adhere to the known 'rules' about travel in bear country and not
be caught unaware.

We did have a great experience on our month long trip in Alaska, did see
many bears & ran into a guy in the park with a sawed off shotgun that he
kept slung over his shoulder who advised it was only to stun a bear if/when
he ran into one.

Kenneth Waller